Over the Counter Primatene Mist – A Solution or a Danger?
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Asthma.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Chu EK, Drazen JM. Asthma: One hundred years of treatment and onward. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2005;171(11). doi: 10.1164/rccm.200502-257OE.
- Pharmacy Times. A pharmacist's guide to the only FDA-approved OTC epinephrine inhalation aerosol bronchodilator. https://www.pharmacytimes.com/publications/issue/2019/june2019/pharmacists-guide-to-the-only-fda-approved-otc-epinephrine-inhalation-aerosol-bronchodilator. Accessed November 2019.
- Boyles S. Asthma specialists attack return of Primatene Mist - FDA approval process, clinical need questioned in commentary. https://www.medpagetoday.com/allergyimmunology/asthma/80863. Accessed November 2019.
- Healthline. Allergy groups urge people with asthma not to use new Primatene Mist inhaler. https://www.healthline.com/health-news/primatene-mist-is-back-whats-the-impact-on-people-with-asthma#Other-concerns. Accessed November 2019.
- Perez M. Medical examiner: Krissy Taylor died of asthma. https://www.apnews.com/868fc23f125d40587c5abc9e66ebc8ec. Accessed November 2019.
- Letter to Troy Brennan, Chief Medical Officer of CVS Health. https://www.aafa.org/media/2314/aafa-sign-on-letter-to-cvs-urging-primatene-mist-behind-the-counter.pdf. Accessed November 2019.
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration. FDA statement of approval of OTC Primatene Mist to treat mild asthma. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-statement-approval-otc-primatene-mist-treat-mild-asthma. Accessed November 2019.