Challenge Tests (Brochoprovocation)
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last Reviewed: May 2016.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma - Full Report 2007. Accessed 11/12/14 at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/guidelines/asthgdln.pdf
- Crapo RO, Casaburi R, Coates AL, et al. Guidelines for methacholine and exercise challenge testing-1999. This official statement of the American Thoracic Society was adopted by the ATS Board of Directors, July 1999. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000;161:309-329. http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1164/ajrccm.161.1.ats11-99
- Cockcroft DW. Direct challenge tests: Airway hyperresponsiveness in asthma: its measurement and clinical significance. Chest. 2010;138(2 Suppl):18S-24S. http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/data/Journals/CHEST/22089/100088.pdf
- Krafczyk MA, Asplund CA. Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction: diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician. 2011;84:427-434. http://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0815/p427.pdf
- Mannix ET, Roberts M, Fagin DP, et al. The prevalence of airways hyperresponsiveness in members of an exercise training facility. J Asthma. 2003;40:349-355. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12870830
- Parsons JP, Hallstrand TS, Mastronarde JG, et al; American Thoracic Society Subcommittee on Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction. An official American Thoracic Society clinical practice guideline: exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;187:1016-1027.
- Anderson SD, Brannan JD. Methods for "indirect" challenge tests including exercise, eucapnic voluntary hyperpnea, and hypertonic aerosols. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2003;24:27-54. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12644717