Anxiety And Asthma: What’s The Deal?
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Asthma.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Crocq, Marc-Antoine, “A history of anxiety: from Hippocrates to DSM,” Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, 2015, Sept. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4610616/, accessed 7/22/17
- Nemade, Rashmi, et al., “Historical Understanding of Depression,” Mentalhelp.net, https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/historical-understandings-of-depression/, accessed 7/17/17
- Van Lieshouta, Ryan J., Glenda M. Macqueen, “Relations Between Asthma And Psychological Distress: An Old Idea Revisited,” Bienenstock J (ed): Allergy and the Nervous System. Chem Immunol Allergy. Basel, Karger, 2012, vol 98, pp 1–13, https://www.karger.com/ProdukteDB/Katalogteile/isbn3_8055/_99/_84/Chial098_02.pdf, accessed 6/26/17
- Katan, Wayne J., et al., “The Relationship of Asthma And Anxiety Disorders,” Psychosomatic Medicine, 2004, http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.509.1501&rep=rep1&type=pdf, accessed 7/22/17
- Zielinski, Tanya A., et al, “Depression in Asthma: Prevalence and Clinical Implications,” Primary Care Companion Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 2000, Oct., https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC181132/
- Van Lieshouta, Ryan J., Glenda M. Macqueen, “Psychological Factors in Asthma,” Allergy Asthma Clinical Immunology, 2008, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2869336/, accessed 6/22/17
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anxiety and Depression Association of America, https://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/generalized-anxiety-disorder-gad, accessed 6/29/17
- Panic Disorders: When Fear Overwhelms, National Institute of Mental Health, https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/panic-disorder-when-fear-overwhelms/index.shtml, accessed 6/28/17
- Vandana, et al., "Anxiety, panic, and adult asthma: a cognitive-behavioral perspective," 2007, Feb., http://www.resmedjournal.com/article/S0954-6111(06)00244-7/fulltext?cc=y=, accessed 7/28/17
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/post-traumatic-stress-disorder/home/ovc-20308548, accessed 6/17/28
- Social Anxiety Fact Sheet, Social Anxiety Association,http://socialphobia.org/social-anxiety-disorder-definition-symptoms-treatment-therapy-medications-insight-prognosis, accessed 6/28/17
- Wright, Rosalind J., Mario Rodriguez, Sheldon Cohen, “Review of psychosocial stress and asthma: an integrated biopsychosocial approach,” Thorax, 1998, December, http://thorax.bmj.com/content/53/12, accessed 7/18/17
- “Asthma Symptoms Linked To Increased Stress, Anxiety Levels In Teens,” Science Daily, 2016, March 6, https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160306083845.htm, accessed 7/23/17