Asthma Subgroups: Premenopausal Asthma
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Asthma.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Tan, K.S., “Premenopausal Asthma: epidemiology, pathogenesis and treatment,” 2001, Drugs, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11735634, accessed 9/3/17
- Tam, Anthony, et al., “The role of female hormones on lung function in chronic lung disease,” BMC Women’s Health, 2011, https://bmcwomenshealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6874-11-24, accessed 9/3/17
- Bonds, Rana S., Terumi Midoro-Horiuti, “Estrogen effects in allergy and asthma,” Current Opinion In Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2013, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3537328/, accessed 9/3/17
- Corren, Jonathan, “Asthma Phenotypes And Endotypes: An Evolving Paradigm For Classification,” Discovery Medicine, http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Jonathan-Corren/2013/04/26/asthma-phenotypes-and-endotypes-an-evolving-paradigm-for-classification/, accessed 9/3/17
- Menstrual Cycle, “Merrick Manual, http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/women-s-health-issues/biology-of-the-female-reproductive-system/menstrual-cycle, accessed 9/3/17
- “What is luteal phase,” Essential Baby, http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/conception/trying-to-conceive/what-is-my-luteal-phase-20100907-14z74, accessed 9/3/17
- Haggerty, et al., “The impact of estrogen and progesterone on asthma,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, 2003, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12669890, accessed 9/3/17
- Brenner, Barry E., “Emergency Asthma,” 1999, page 147-148. Note: This is an older theory that I have not seen discussed in more recent articles on this topic.
- Silva, Ivaldo, “Association between asthma and female sex hormones,” Sao Paulo Medical Journal, 2017, http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-31802017000100004, accessed 9/3/17
- Passaoglu, et al., “Leukotriene Receptor Antagonists: A Good Choice in the Treatment of Premenstrual Asthma,” Journal of Asthma, 2008, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18350399, accessed 9/3/17