The Unanticipated Risks of Childhood Asthma
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Asthma.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Collins JE, Gill TK, Chittleborough CR, Martin AJ, Taylor AW, Winefield H. Mental, emotional, and social problems among school children with asthma. Journal of Asthma. 2008;45(6)489-93. doi: 10.1080/02770900802074802.
- Stewart M, Masuda JR, Letourneau N., Anderson S, McGhan S. I want to meet other kids like me: Support needs of children with asthma and allergies. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing. 2011;34(2):62-78. doi: 10.3109/01460862.2011.572638.
- Jensen ME, Wood LG, Gibson PG. Obesity and childhood asthma - mechanisms and manifestations. Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2012;12(2)186-192. doi: 10.1097/ACI.0b013e3283508df5.
- Galant SP. Can the morbidly obese asthmatic child be well controlled? The Breathmobile program. Presented at: American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology annual meeting 2019; February 22-25, 2019; San Francisco, CA. Abstract 599.5
- Rankin J, Matthews L, Cobley S, et al. Psychological consequences of childhood obesity: psychiatric comorbidity and prevention. Adolescent Health, Medicine and Therapeutics. 2016;7:125-146. doi:10.2147/AHMT.S1016316
- European Association for the Study of Obesity. Being overweight in childhood may heighten lifetime risk of depression. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-05-overweight-childhood-heighten-lifetime-depression.html. Accessed July 2019.
- Norton A. Young kids with asthma may lag in reading skills. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-asthma-reading/young-kids-with-asthma-may-lag-in-reading-skills-idUSTRE6BE66Y20101215. Accessed July 2019.
- Leahy MA, Fitzpatrick NM. Early readers and academic success. Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology. 2017;7(2):87-95. doi: 10.5539/jedp.v7n2p87.
- American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. Academic performance of urban children with asthma worse than peers without asthma: Study finds for ethnic minorities, the more severe the asthma, the worse the quality of work. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190311081928.htm. Accessed July 2019.
- Shankardass K, Jerrett M, Milam J, et al. Social environment and asthma associations with crime and No Child Left Behind programmes. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health. 2011;65:859-865. doi: 10.1136/jech.2009.102806.
- Maruschak LM, Berzofsky M, Unangst J. Medical problems of state and federal prisoners and jail inmates: U.S. Department of Justice Special Report. https://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/mpsfpji1112.pdf. Published February 2015. Accessed July 2019.
- Morsy L, Rothstein R. Mass incarceration and children's outcomes. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. https://www.epi.org/publication/mass-incarceration-and-childrens-outcomes/. Accessed July 2019.
- Gupta RS, Zhang X, Springston EE, et al. The association between community crime and childhood asthma prevalence in Chicago. 2010;104(4)299-306. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2009.11.047.
- Literacy and Policing in Canada. Target Crime with Literacy. http://en.copian.ca/library/research/police/factsheets/factsheets.pdf. Accessed July 2019.