I work in sport and the Coaching Association of Canada has an entire coaching module dedicated to Making Ethical Decisions (MED). It is a workshop with an evaluation component that puts your decision-making skills to the test. “The MED coaching module assist coaches in identifying legal, ethical and moral implications of a difficult situation that present themselves in the world of team and individual sport”. I feel like I need get out my reference material, so I can make the best decision about re-engaging with my doctor on recent changes in symptoms.
A positive change in asthma symptoms
I recently have had a good run of health after what feels like a lifetime of being constantly symptomatic. It looked liked I was finally at a point where I was stable enough not to require daily prednisone. Hooray! Getting that message felt surreal like I had won the lottery and got to go on a pony ride. All at the same time. Woohoo!
The challenge is that somewhere between the testing that was two weeks ago and my lack of Biologic, or at least I am convinced, that it is my lack of biologic, I am currently in the washout phase of my study. I feel like my asthma control may be slipping. My pesky cough is making a reappearance and I need to make sure that I take my evening meds on time, or it could spell trouble during the night. I had to return to set timers to take medication because I was no longer symptomatic and my body reminds me of when it was time to take my meds. The return of symptoms has me concerned that my newish asthma control is being lost.
It is important to know that this is based on how I “feel” and has not been scientifically validated at this time. If I mention this to my doctor and my RT, there is a significant chance that my less than 24-hrs without prednisone will soon be over and I will be right back on it. I want to avoid this, if at all possible. Actually, I will probably get summoned for FeNo, sputum induction and spirometry but I really want to ride this wave a little longer. This was my entire motivation for being in my clinical trial, to be symptom and prednisone free.
I am obligated to report these symptoms, however in a quest to ensure that I have a good grasp on what I am feeling, I have decided to resume tracking my symptoms to ensure that what I am experiencing is, in fact, correct and may not be associated with other influences for example trigger exposure or another such thing such as a pesky cold.
As a “responsible” patient it is important that we do not ignore signs or symptoms of worsening asthma. There are many patients who are thought to be “poor perceivers”, it is important to understand what symptoms are normal, normal for you and what is considered abnormal by your doctor of care team. You may need to activate your emergency action plan or make modifications to your treatment.
I will need to have a chat with my care team about changes in my asthma control. This is a conversation that I will be having tomorrow. It is not definitive if I will need to return to taking prednisone. However, it is important that I take changes in my symptoms seriously.
Update: Between the writing and editing of this pieces, I did contact my doctor, was summoned to the clinic, had some abnormal blood work and I am waiting for confirmation of my sputum induction to identify the next steps.
Do you experience allergies and/or sensitivities?