Poor Air Quality and Asthma: Should You Wear a Mask?
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Asthma.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Laumbach, R., Meng, Q., & Kipen, H. (2015). What can individuals do to reduce personal health risks from air pollution? Journal of Thoracic Disease, 7(1), 96–107. http://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2014.12.21
- Johnston, F. H. (2009). Bushfires and human health in a changing environment. Australian Family Physician, 38(9), 720.
- Mott, J & Meyer P. (2000). Health effects associated with forest fires among residents of the Hoopa Valley National Indian Reservation. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Atlanta, GA.
- Saglani, S., & McKenzie, S. A. (2002). Environmental factors relevant to difficult asthma. Paediatric respiratory reviews, 3(3), 248-254.
- Fuller, G. (2018, 10 May). Pollutionwatch: Do face masks really prevent the ill effects of pollution?. The Guardian. Accessed 15 August, 2018 via https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/10/pollutionwatch-how-effective-are-face-masks-beijing
- Agence France Presse/Relaxnews. (2018, 7 May). Does wearing a face mask really protect against air pollution? Accessed via CTV News on 15 August, 2018 via https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/does-wearing-a-face-mask-really-protect-against-air-pollution-1.3918046
- Vedal, S. (2017, 4 September). Can face masks help reduce the negative health impacts of air pollution? The Conversation. Accessed 15 August 2018 via https://theconversation.com/can-facemasks-help-reduce-the-negative-health-impacts-of-air-pollution-82549
- Crist, C. (2018, 3 May). Face masks available to consumers may be ineffective against air pollution. Reuters. Accessed 15 August, 2018 via https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-airpollution-masks/face-masks-available-to-consumers-may-be-ineffective-against-air-pollution-idUSKBN1I426I