Why Are Biologics So Expensive?
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Asthma.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- “Fasenra (benralizumab) receives US FDA approval for severe eosinophilic asthma,” AstraZeneca, 2017, November 14, https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2017/fasenra-benralizumab-receives-us-fda-approval-for-severe-uncontrolled-eosinophilic-asthma-14112017.html, accessed 7/12/18
- “BRIEF-AstraZeneca pricing new severe asthma drug Fasenra below rivals, Reuters, 2017, November 15, https://www.reuters.com/article/brief-astrazeneca-pricing-new-severe-ast/brief-astrazeneca-pricing-new-severe-asthma-drug-fasenra-below-rivals-idUSL8N1NL1IO, accessed 7/8/18
- “AZ prices severe asthma drug Fasenra below competition,” pmlive.com, November 15, 2017, http://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/az_prices_severe_asthma_drug_fasenra_below_competition_1211527, accessed 7/818
- “Patents and Exclusivity,” fda.gov, https://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/developmentapprovalprocess/smallbusinessassistance/ucm447307.pdf, accessed 7/8/18
- Herper, Matthew, “Solving The Drug Patent Problem,” Forbes. 2002, May 2, https://www.forbes.com/2002/05/02/0502patents.html#6fae6bcc17bc, accessed 6/23/18
- Mullin, Rick, “Cost to develop new pharmaceutical drug now exceeds $2.5 billion,” Scientific American, 2014, November 24, https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cost-to-develop-new-pharmaceutical-drug-now-exceeds-2-5b/, accessed 7/12/18
- Zimney, Ed, “Understanding Biologics: How they differ from drugs and why they cost more,” https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/understanding-biologics-how-they-differ-from-drugs-and-why-they-cost-more/, accessed 7/6/18
- Kaldre, Ingrid, “The Future of Generic Biologics: Should the United States ‘Follow-On” The European Pathway?” Duke Law And Technology Review, 2008, https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1184&context=dltr, accessed 7/7/18
- Entine, Jon, “FDA Balances Costs, Patient Safety in the Biologics of Personalized Medicine Revolution,” Forbes, 2012, July 23, https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonentine/2012/07/23/fda-balances-costs-patient-safety-in-the-biologics-and-personalized-medicine-revolution-will-it-get-it-right-or-damage-the-miracle-industry/#7ddd718e1d36, accessed 7/7/18