Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last Reviewed: September 2019.
- Huntley A, Ernst E. Herbal medicines for asthma: a systematic review. Thorax. 2000;55:925-929. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/11050261/
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma - Full Report 2007. Accessed 11/12/14 at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/guidelines/asthgdln.pdf
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Healing. Ephedra. Accessed 3/3/15 at: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/ephedra
- WHO Monographs on Selected Medicinal Plants. Volume 1. Accessed 3/3/15 at: http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/d/Js2200e/.
- Li XM, Brown L. Efficacy and mechanisms of action of traditional Chinese medicines for treating asthma and alle rgy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;123:297-306.
- Yang N, Liang B, Srivastava K, et al. The Sophora flavescens flavonoid compound trifolirhizin inhibits acetylcholine induced airway smooth muscle contraction. Phytochemistry. 2013;95:259-267.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Healing. Ayurvedic Medicine: An Introduction. Accessed 3/3/15 at: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/ayurveda/introduction.htm
- Schapowal A; Petasites Study Group. Randomised controlled trial of butterbur and cetirizine for treating seasonal allergic rhinitis. BMJ. 2002;324:144-146.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Healing. Licorice Root. Accessed 2/28/15 at: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/licoriceroot
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Healing. Gingko. Accessed 3/3/15 at: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/ginkgo/ataglance.htm
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Healing. Burbutter. Accessed 3/3/15 at: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/butterbur
- Wen MC, Wei CH, Hu ZQ, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of anti-asthma herbal medicine intervention in adult patients with moderate-severe allergic asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005;116:517-524.
- US Food and Drug Administration. Q&A on Dietary Supplements. Accessed 3/3/15 at: http://www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySupplements/QADietarySupplements/default.htm#what_is