Myths and Misconceptions
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last Reviewed: May 2016.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma - Full Report 2007. Accessed 11/12/14 at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/guidelines/asthgdln.pdf
- Tai A, Tran H, Roberts M, et al. Outcomes of childhood asthma to the age of 50 years. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;133:1572-8.e3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24495434
- Stern DA, Morgan WJ, Halonen M, et al. Wheezing and bronchial hyper-responsiveness in early childhood as predictors of newly diagnosed asthma in early adulthood: a longitudinal birth-cohort study. Lancet. 2008;372:1058-1064. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/18805334/
- Global Initiative for Asthma. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention 2014. Accessed 11/12/14 at: www.ginasthma.org.
- Krafczyk MA, Asplund CA. Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction: diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician. 2011;84:427-434. http://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0815/p427.pdf
- Parsons JP, Hallstrand TS, Mastronarde JG, et al; American Thoracic Society Subcommittee on Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction. An official American Thoracic Society clinical practice guideline: exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;187:1016-1027.
- Brooks TL, Leventhal H, Wolf MS, et al. Strategies used by older adults with asthma for adherence to inhaled corticosteroids. J Gen Intern Med. 2014;29:1506-1512. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25092003
- Chung KF, Wenzel SE, Brozek JL, et al. International ERS/ATS guidelines on definition, evaluation and treatment of severe asthma. Eur Respir J. 2014;43:343-373.
- Lawson CC, Carroll K, Gonzalez R, et al. "No other choice": reasons for emergency department utilization among urban adults with acute asthma. Acad Emerg Med. 2014;21:1-8. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acem.12285/pdf
- Peláez S, Bacon SL, Aulls MW, et al. Similarities and differences between asthma health care professional and patient views regarding medication adherence. Can Respir J. 2014;21:221-226. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24712015
- Paulose-Ram R, Tilert T, Dillon CF, Brody DJ. Cigarette smoking and lung obstruction among adults aged 40–79: United States, 2007–2012. NCHS Data Brief, No. 181. January 2015. Accessed 1/13/15 at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db181.pdf
- Polosa R, Thomson NC. Smoking and asthma: dangerous liaisons. Eur Respir J. 2013;41:716-726. http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/41/3/716.full.pdf
- Wakefield M, Ruffin R, Campbell D, et al. Smoking-related beliefs and behaviour among adults with asthma in a representative population sample. Aust N Z J Med. 1995;25:12-17. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7786238
- Holgate ST, Polosa R. The mechanisms, diagnosis, and management of severe asthma in adults. Lancet. 2006;368:780-793. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16935689
- Personal communication, Stephen Gaudet, RRT [1/30/15].