caret icon Back to all discussions

Breathe Better Giveaway 2024: Fall Asthma Hacks

For 1 bonus entry in our Breathe Better Giveaway, let us know your tips and tricks for managing asthma during the fall season below!
For giveaway details and to enter, visit: https://asthma.net/living/sept-2024-giveaway

1. During the fall what I do is I remember to take my controller medications every morning and night. I check my peak flow at least once a day and I also take an allergy medication during the fall to keep my allergies under control. If I can stay on top of it I can give myself the best chance possible to being able to breathe well during the fall months.

1. Hi there, thanks for sharing your tips and tricks to staying healthy during the fall season. Do you find that your peak flow holds steady day to day? Wishing you all the best, Lauren (team member)

2. Hi Lauren, my peak flow varies from time to time but is mostly in the green zone. My personal best is 690 and I know that if I am around the 550 mark that it's a sign that my asthma is not as good. My peak flow is usually better in the evenings than it is in the morning.

2. Fall? The last grass cuts before a heavy rain... it seems to kick it all up. Mold and mildews kick up. And worst... large cockroaches (not the filthy kind, but the big kind) that just want water and warmth seep in through the faintest cracks and I am very allergic.

1. How awful - fall can bring difficult times for you. I do hope that you can keep the mold and mildew, as well as the cockroaches, from seeping into your home. How have you managed in the past? Have any tips or tricks? I am sure this happens to many once the weather turns from sunny and warm to cooler temps with dampness. Wishing you a drier more manageable season. Sending you thoughts of wellness. Rebecca (team member)

3. I continue my medications as directed and continue to mask.

1. Being proactive about your health makes things a little bit easier day by day. Thanks for sharing your strategy. Best of luck! Rebecca (team member)

4. I take my daily inhalers, and make sure I have enough nebulizer meds & rescue inhalers on hand. I have the covid & flu vaccines. I wear a mask every time I step out of my door and anyone except close family, who enters my house I ask them to wear a mask also. I keep hand sanitizers in my purse and car. I wash my hands often. And because of comorbidity I try to stay out of crowds, although I have found even around a few people, it only takes one sick person to cause an asthma attack and bronchitis or most likely pneumonia. In the winter I have a vaporizer if necessary & I have an air purifier in my living room & bedroom. I also try to stay away from any triggers and work to prevent triggers such as dust or acid reflux.
    Thank you for the chance for the giveaway!

1. You've been quite proactive about your health - YES to all of these. My air purifiers are working double time right now and vaccines are done and done. I believe maintaining good health is far more manageable than striving to recover from an illness. The presence of just one sick individual can determine whether breathing is manageable or if a hospital visit is necessary to manage breathing difficulties. Thanks for sharing your awesome strategies. Rebecca (team member)

Please read our rules before posting.