caret icon Back to all discussions

My Chest

Hi to all. I was told I had asthma when I was 33 years old and have been on inhalers for years but they never actually helped my asthma. I didn't feel any better on the inhalers when I was sent to the hospital. I was told I didn't have asthma but I was never told what my problem was. I keep getting breathless with activity, coughing up phlegm, have a tight chest and my peak flow keeps going so low. It was 165 earlier and has been as low as 70 before. This is really stressful and I am supposed to be going to see a cardiologist. I keep getting palpitations and my heart racing but don't know when I will get my appointment. I've been asking for months to be seen.

What can I do? I have been like this for ages waiting for GP to phone, but it has not happened yet.

  1. Hi, Thank you for your post. Sorry that your doctors are not responding to you and your needs in a timely fashion. You certainly deserve better treatment than this. Have you considered seeing a different GP, one who will give you the treatment you deserve? A cardiologist may be able to determine if your heart is causing your problems, along with helping you find the best treatment options. Although, you may also benefit from seeing a lung specialist like a pulmonologist to determine for sure if you have asthma. What do you think? john. community moderator

    1. I went to see the gp about my chest on Monday morning and everything I said about my chest was dismissed he said my chest was clear not taking notice of my cough ive had for 4 weeks and my peakflow been down ect I just don't know where I go from here my husband has always been a smoker so I've always had family around me who smoke their is only me who has never smoked so I am worried about passive smoking ect nice weather and my chest is terrible my husband has copd and refuses to give up smoking.
      It's like I am between a rock and a hard place.
      Advise please.


      1. Hi I know what your going through, because it has happened to me. I was healthy and played sports and ran track occasionally, and suddenly felt sick one day and had difficulty breathing. I went to the doctor multiple times and they said nothing was wrong. This went on for several years and kept getting worse and it caused me to have respiratory failure and miraculously recovered. After that I was finally able to get to see a pulmonologist, and she was able to help me stay out of hospital, the down side is that the long length of time between when I first had trouble breathing and my diagnosis was several years I now have severe chronic asthma and my symptoms never go away. During the time before diagnosis I did lots of research and wrote down all symptoms and triggers. My life has changed dramatically and went from an active person to someone who mostly stays indoors because my main triggers are environmental, chemical. Perfumes, basically everything in the air. So I advise you to see a pulmonologist ASAP. If they fail to refer you to one keep asking until they do.. I hope everything goes well and you get better. Hope this can hELP YOU



      2. Hi CM1325, and thanks for lending your own support and encouragement here. As well, we appreciate you sharing your own personal experiences managing this disease. Your candor is very much welcomed!
        If there is anything we can do to assist you, please let me or any other moderator / team member know. You are always welcome here in our online community.
        Warm regards,
        Leon (site moderator

    2. What your Asthma Action Plan says about the peak flow meter at that value, 70 is too low... and if you don't have the AAP. also ask your Primary Care Physician to fill the AAP in this case in the future you'll have the values of the peak flow meter and the action to take.

      1. I absolutely agree with John on this, - set up an appt with a pulmonologist/lung specialist. We thought my son had COVID and it turned out he had Valley Fever (fungus in the soil) from working out outside in Arizona. We would never have known if he didn't see this kind of specialist. GPs are just that - general health practitioners. They should refer you to an appropriate specialist to help you. I get short of breath like this as well and was told I have chronic respiratory disease (asthma/possibly COPD) and needed particular medication to help me. I hope you get a chance to book an appt sooner than later ~ Warmly, Rebecca (comm advc)

        or create an account to reply.