Lifestyle and Natural Remedies
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last Reviewed: September 2019.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma - Full Report 2007. Accessed 11/12/14 at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/guidelines/asthgdln.pdf
- Paulose-Ram R, Tilert T, Dillon CF, Brody DJ. Cigarette smoking and lung obstruction among adults aged 40–79: United States, 2007–2012. NCHS Data Brief, No. 181. January 2015. Accessed 1/13/15 at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db181.pdf
- Sexton DJ. Patient information: The common cold in adults (Beyond the Basics). Accessed 1/15/15 at: http://www.uptodate.com/contents/the-common-cold-in-adults-beyond-the-basics
- Fashner J, Ericson K, Werner S. Treatment of the common cold in children and adults. Am Fam Physician. 2012;86:153-159. http://www.aafp.org/afp/2012/0715/p153.pdf
- Global Initiative for Asthma. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention 2014. Online Appendix. Accessed 2/26/15 at: http://www.ginasthma.org/local/uploads/content/files/GINA_Appendix_2014.pdf.
- Cleveland Clinic. Stress and asthma. Accessed 1/19/15 at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Asthma_An_Overview/hic_Understanding_Asthma_Triggers/hic_Stress_and_Asthma
- Allan K, Devereux G. Diet and asthma: nutrition implications from prevention to treatment. J Am Diet Assoc. 2011;111:258-268.
- Han YY, Blatter J, Brehm JM, et al. Diet and asthma: vitamins and methyl donors. Lancet Respir Med. 2013;1:813-822. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/24461761/
- Li J, Xun P, Zamora D, et al. Intakes of long-chain omega-3 (n-3) PUFAs and fish in relation to incidence of asthma among American young adults: the CARDIA study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013;97:173-178.
- Welsh EJ, Bara A, Barley E, Cates CJ. Caffeine for asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;(1):CD001112.
- Warren MD, Pont SJ, Barkin SL, et al. The effect of honey on nocturnal cough and sleep quality for children and their parents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007;161:1149-1153.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Healing. Licorice Root. Accessed 2/28/15 at: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/licoriceroot
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Healing. 5 Things to know about complementary health approaches for seasonal allergy relief. Accessed 2/28/15 at: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/tips/allergies
- World Health Organization. Cough and cold remedies for the treatment of acute respiratory infection in young children. 2001. Accessed 2/27/15 at: http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/fch_cah_01_02/en/
- MedlinePlus. Clove. Accessed 2/28/15 at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/251.html
- Townsend EA, Zhang Y, Xu C, et al. Active components of ginger potentiate β-agonist-induced relaxation of airway smooth muscle by modulating cytoskeletal regulatory proteins. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2014;50:115-124.
- Abidi A, Gupta S, Agarwal M, et al. Evaluation of efficacy of curcumin as an add-on therapy in patients of bronchial asthma. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8:HC19-24.
- Huntley A, Ernst E. Herbal medicines for asthma: a systematic review. Thorax. 2000;55:925-929. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/11050261/