Asthma Prevention and Control Medications
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last Reviewed: April 2019.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma - Full Report 2007. Accessed 11/12/14 at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/guidelines/asthgdln.pdf/
- Global Initiative for Asthma. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention 2014. Accessed 11/12/14 at: www.ginasthma.org.
- Wenzel SE. Asthma phenotypes: the evolution from clinical to molecular approaches. Nat Med. 2012;18:716-725. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22561835
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. Allergy and Asthma Drug Guide. Accessed 2/13/15 at: http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/drug-guide.aspx
- Irwin RS, Richardson ND. Side effects with inhaled corticosteroids: the physician's perception. Chest. 2006;130(1 Suppl):41S-53S. http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/data/Journals/CHEST/22046/41S.pdf
- Zhang L, Prietsch SO, Ducharme FM. Inhaled corticosteroids in children with persistent asthma: effects on growth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;7:CD009471. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25030198
- US Food and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: Drug labels now contain updated recommendations on the appropriate use of long-acting inhaled asthma medications called Long-Acting Beta-Agonists (LABAs). Accessed 2/13/15 at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213836.htm
- Scow DT, Luttermoser GK, Dickerson KS. Leukotriene inhibitors in the treatment of allergy and asthma. Am Fam Physician. 2007;75:65-70. http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0101/p65.html
- Corren J. Asthma phenotypes and endotypes: an evolving paradigm for classification. Discov Med. 2013;15:243-249. http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Jonathan-Corren/2013/04/26/asthma-phenotypes-and-endotypes-an-evolving-paradigm-for-classification/
- Dicpinigaitis PV. Chronic cough due to asthma: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2006;129(1 Suppl):75S-79S. http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/data/Journals/CHEST/22039/75S.pdf
- US Food and Drug Administration. FDA requests labeling change for leukotriene modifiers. Accessed 2/13/15 at: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm166293.htm
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. Biologics for the Management of Severe Asthma. Accessed 4/29/19 at https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/asthma-library/biologics-asthma.
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. Allergy Shots (Immunotherapy). Accessed 4/29/19 at: http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/allergy-shots-%28immunotherapy%29.aspx.