caret icon Back to all discussions

2021 Wildfires

The wildfires in Canada this year have made breathing difficult, especially over the past few days. The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has issued its longest air quality alert ever, it's been going since last Wednesday and will continue through Tuesday!

I'm in the Twin Cities region, other parts of the state have had it worse. Right now, 8AM on Sunday, the particle reading is at 138. The sunlight is making the sky look yellow! I don't dare step foot outside without an N95 mask & only if I have to.

I'm curious to hear what others in the path of this smoke are seeing & experiencing.

1. Hi again, dilod, and thanks for this post. While I'm hopeful others in the community will read about your concern and respond by sharing their own experiences with the wildfires and air quality, I did want to provide a suggestion, as well.

We also have an asthma community available on the Facebook platform. If you are interested, you may want to post your concern there as well. You can follow out link (at the bottom of this page), and put up your question there as well, if you are so inclined.

Wishing you all the best during these difficult and challenging times.
    Leon (site moderator asthma.net)

1. Hi again, dilrod - it's not an issue. Just wanted you to be aware of the additional option to access other members. I know so many folks who are not 'Facebookers', too. It's not everyone's 'cup of tea'.
      Take care of yourself!
      All the best,
      Leon (site moderator asthma.net)

2. Hi, In response to your question about the effect of forest fire smoke. I'm not in the path of Canadian smoke. But, am in the path of the smoke from about 15,000 acres in upper NW corner of MT + smoke from WA. The winds can really push the smoke to our area with a .25 vision. The pollution here is issued everyday, yearly, With the smoke and heat it has been 110-187.
      I am retired so have the option of staying at home. Also We have a small room air conditioner that exhausts to the outside and our house has double pane windows. However, 40 yrs when I lived in smoggy, 60 miles, outside of LA (N95) I always had 2 very moist washcloths for my breathing + my eyes + we had daily smog alerts. I believe I can relate

somewhat to your situation.
      Hope things change soon K

Please read our rules before posting.